Goose Creek Green Card Lawyer

A foreign resident can obtain green card eligibility in several ways. When you are preparing to apply for a green card, a knowledgeable immigration attorney can advise you about the necessary filing requirements, supporting documentation, and visa availability limits.

A Goose Creek green card lawyer could help you navigate the complex process of legally obtaining permanent residence in the United States.

Different Paths to Green Card Eligibility

There are many ways to obtain green card eligibility, including:

The application process will vary depending on whether the individual is already lawfully present in the United States. Generally, the process starts when a U.S. resident files an immigrant petition on behalf of the person seeking a green card.

When the petition is approved by U.S. Citizenship and Immigration Services, the foreign resident must file a green card application with either USCIS or the Department of State. The individual will next have to attend an in-person interview, after which they will receive an application decision.

Since the U.S. allocates a certain number of visas each year for green card applicants, the approval of the application will depend on availability. Usually, 226,000 family-sponsored preference visas and 140,000 employment-based preference visas are available each year.

The Immigration and Nationality Act outlines several factors that could make a foreign resident inadmissible to the country under 8 U.S.C. § 1182(a). For example, prior criminal history or concerns about communicable diseases can make an individual inadmissible.

A Goose Creek lawyer could determine what categories apply to a person seeking a green card.

Obtaining a Green Card Through a Family Member

A family relationship is one of the most commonly used paths to obtaining a green card. U.S. citizens and lawful permanent residents can act as green card sponsors for their close relatives, per 8 U.S.C. § 1153.

Immediate relatives of U.S. citizens can obtain a green card when they are a spouse, an unmarried child under 21 years old, or a parent. Parents are only eligible when their child with U.S. citizenship is over age 21.

A Goose Creek lawyer could list specific family relationships that allow an immigrant to obtain a green card, referred to as family preference immigrants. Family preference green cards are available for certain close relatives of U.S. citizens or green card holders.

USCIS approves family preference green card applications based on four different preference categories. The first preference (F1) is for unmarried children over the age of 21 of U.S. citizens.

The second preference has two sub-categories. The first (F2A) is for green card holders’ spouses and unmarried children under 21 years old. The second (F2B) applies to unmarried children of a green card holder who are at least 21 years old.

The third preference (F3) is for the married children of U.S. citizens. The fourth preference (F4) is for siblings of U.S. citizens when the U.S. citizen is 21 or older.

Immediate relative applications are usually processed faster than family preference green cards. Additionally, immediate relative visas are not subject to annual numerical restrictions.

Employment-Based Green Cards for Individuals with Certain Skills

A Goose Creek lawyer could guide a client on obtaining a green card through specialized employment skills or career fields, another common path to lawful residence. USCIS has five different categories for immigrants to obtain a green card through employment in the country.

The first preference category (EB-1) is for workers with extraordinary skills in career fields such as science, athletics, education, arts, or business. The second preference (EB-2) is for members of professions with advanced degrees or people who show exceptional abilities.

The third preference (EB-3) is for skilled workers or professionals who possess skills requiring two years of training. Fourth preference (EB-4) is for special immigrants, including career fields such as religious workers, broadcasters, or physicians.

Fifth preference (EB-5) is for immigrants who invest at least $900,000 in a commercial venture that employs at least 10 U.S. citizens.

Speak With a Goose Creek Lawyer Immediately About Green Card Applications

When you or a loved one are preparing to apply for a green card, contact a Goose Creek green card lawyer immediately. You should not have to navigate the immigration process without the help of an expert.

Our team at Miller | Conway could help determine eligibility and work diligently on your behalf to obtain a green card.