USCIS accepts H1B petitions for next fiscal year starting April 1st. The 2018 fiscal year start date for accepting H-1B applications is April 1st, 2017. Because April 1, 2017 falls on a Saturday, USCIS will accept applications beginning Monday, April 3, 2017. The numbers available for 2018 are as follows: (1) Regular H-1B quota is 65,000; and (2) Master’s Degree H-1B Quota is 20,000. The Master’s Degree quota applies only U.S. Masters Degree programs. Please be aware that the H-1B process should begin immediately to ensure sufficient time for intake, obtaining LCA and completion of your H-1B package.
Below are some key requirements you must fulfill to apply for an H-1B Visa:
1. You must have an employer-employee relationship with the petitioning U.S. employer;
2. Your job must qualify as a specialty occupation by meeting one of the following criteria:
a. A bachelor’s degree or higher degree or its equivalent is normally the minimum requirement for the particular position;
b. The degree requirement is common for the position or the job is so complex/unique it can only be performed by someone with at least a bachelor’s degree related to the position;
c. The employer normally requires a degree or its equivalent for the position; or
d. The nature of the duties is so specialized and complex that the knowledge required to perform the duties is usually associated with the attainment of a bachelor’s or higher degree.
3. Your job must be in a specialty occupation related to your field of study;
4. You must be paid at least the actual or prevailing wage for your occupation, whichever is higher; and
5. An H-1B visa number must be available at the time of filing the petition, unless the petition is exempt from numerical limits.
Please contact Miller|Conway, Charleston Immigration Attorneys, at 843.764.3334 or firstname.lastname@example.org if you believe you are eligible to apply for an H-1B visa for the 2018 fiscal year.