Ross E. Miller
124C S. Goose Creek Blvd
PO Box 938
Goose Creek, South Carolina 29445
Ross E. Miller was born and raised in Charleston, South Carolina, attending Mason Preparatory School and Bishop England. Ross is a graduate of College of Charleston and Tulane University Law School. While in law school Ross attended the University of the Aegean in Greece for maritime legal training; and received a certificate in Admiralty Law from Tulane’s Maritime Law Center, the world’s preeminent maritime law program.
Prior to founding Miller|Conway, Ross was an associate attorney at Cozen O’Connor (Chicago office), an AmLaw Top 100 international law firm headquartered in Philadelphia, Pennsylvania. During his time with Cozen O’Connor, Ross handled claims and litigation involving of Lloyd’s of London, Research In Motion, Adidas, Abercrombie & Fitch, Medtronics, Sikorsky Aircraft Corp and AIG Marine ranging from $200 million data theft and $50 million maritime and aviation matters to intellectual property disputes to smaller scale, contentious products liability lawsuits. Ross also acted as excess monitor on behalf of various excess insurers and as a consultant on complex intellectual property, punitive damages and wrongful death matters.
Ross represents corporate clients including international logistics companies, gaming corporations, textile producers, national healthcare companies and small businesses. Ross prides himself on efficient representation maintaining each client’s bottom line.
Ross handles immigration matters ranging from complex corporate filings to family based petitions, including I-601A waivers, to removal proceedings throughout the United States. Ross also represents immigration clients before the Board of Immigration Appeals in his appellate practice. When conditions become volatile and his clients’ are subject to removal from the U.S., Ross fights for his clients. Ross has success extracting his clients from federal immigration prisons and delaying or stopping removal in Immigration Courts and before the Board of Immigration Appeals. Ross also aggressively represents clients seeking asylum, TPS or DACA.
Family Law Representation
Ross handles a wide range of family law matters including divorce cases ranging from uncontested to the highly complex and contentious, child custody matters and child support matters. Ross typically maintains a fairly small family law caseload at any given time in order to provide each case with the attention its deserves.
Licensure and Court Admissions
United States District Court for the District of South Carolina
United States District Court for the Northern District of Illinois
Tulane University Law School, Juris Doctor
Tulane University Law School, Certificate in Maritime Law
College of Charleston, Bachelor of Arts
Honors and Awards
South Carolina Super Lawyers Rising Stars (2016 – 2021)
American Institute of Legal Counsel “10 Best” Immigration Attorneys (2016 – 2019)
The National Advocates Top 100 Lawyers (2015 – 2021)
Rotary International Paul Harris Fellow
Professional Associations & Memberships
South Carolina Bar Association, Member
Berkeley County Bar Association, Vice President
Charleston County Bar Association, Member
Tulane University Law Ambassador
College of Charleston Cougar Club, Board of Directors
American Immigration Lawyers Association, National Asylum & Refugee Committee (2013)
Appearances and Publications
–The Today Show. Matt Lauer, Tamron Hall, Dorsey Montgomery II and Ross Miller. NBC. December 8, 2016
-“South Carolina Immigration Law”. Issues & Answers. Cheryl Harleston & Ross Miller. Comcast C2. October 24, 2011.
-“Immigration Laws in South Carolina”. Sweet Carolina. Colette Harrington Schwoeri & Ross Miller. WLCN Lowcountry Network. March 5, 2012
-“Entrvista al Abogado Ross Miller”. Universal Latin News. Marcela Rabens, Ross Miller and David Conway. Edition No. 166. July 20, 2012.
-“Deferred Action”. Issues & Answers. Cheryl Harleston & Ross Miller. Comcast C2. October 23, 2012
Representative Immigration Matters
Board of Immigration Appeals (BIA) and Federal Immigration Courts:
– Obtained cancellation of removal on behalf of a permanent resident facing removal from the U.S. based upon: drug trafficking; possession of marijuana; aggravated assault and battery; unlawful possession of a firearm; and shoplifting. The client remains permanent resident of the United States.
– Filed successful Motions to Reopen based on clients’ marriages to U.S. citizens following orders of removal and denial of asylum claims before the Immigration Court and BIA resulting in the cases being reopened and resulting in clients receiving permanent resident status.
– Filed successful Motion to Reopen based on marriage to U.S. citizen following an order of removal and denial of previous attempt to adjust status based on a previous marriage to a U.S. citizen resulting in the case being reopened before the U.S. Immigration Court and resulting in the client receiving a green card.
– Convinced the U.S. Immigration Court to release on bond a client charged with multiple DUIs which resulted in the client obtaining permanent resident status.
– Obtained legal permanent resident status for a client in removal proceedings with multiple DUI convictions, multiple felony convictions and numerous other misdemeanor convictions wherein the client was granted a waiver related to the above aggravated felony, the attorney successfully argued numerous crimes did not qualify as crimes of moral turpitude and successfully overcame the fact that the Respondent had not resided with his qualifying relative U.S. citizen spouse for approximately 4 years at the time of trial.
– Received prosecutorial discretion on behalf of a Czech client in removal proceedings due to numerous criminal convictions despite the fact that client was not eligible for alternate relief. The removal case against this client is now closed.
– Obtained TPS and employment authorization for client from El Salvador who failed to renew TPS for over 10 years.
United States Customs and Immigration Services (USCIS):
– Obtained employment based immigrant visas on behalf of a Russian computer programmers, Russian managers, and various other Eastern Europeans with foreign advanced degrees.
– Adjusted status to that of permanent resident for clients from countries including: Pakistan, Jordan, Australia, Russia, Canada, Egypt, Israel, Ireland, England, France, Spain and Brazil.
– Successfully obtained U.S. citizenship for clients from countries including India, Brazil, Guinea, Burkina Faso, England, Pakistan, Philippines and Israel.
– Received U Visa status for victims of crimes including assault, armed robbery and arson while present in the U.S. illegally.
– Obtained Immigrant Visas for relatives of U.S. citizens from notorious problem countries including Thailand, Philippines, Ghana and Democratic Republic of the Congo.
– Acquired DACA for many clients including cases in which the applicant has a criminal record or brief departure(s) from the U.S.
– Removed conditions on permanent residence for clients separated/divorced without consent of the petitioner.
Immigration and Customs Enforcement (ICE):
– Successfully negotiated the release of numerous clients in immigration detention on PR bonds whereby the client was released without incurring financial penalties.
– Obtained Stays of Deportation or Removal on behalf of clients with Orders of Deportation allowing clients to remain in the U.S. and seek employment authorization.